Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Poetry Came to Me From the Middle East


One of the things which has come from my role as the wife of a Soldier during war, has been the need to express all of the emotions and realizations that have come with my experiences during my husband's deployments.  I have always lived a very sheltered life, conscious of course that there were people suffering in the world, places where the freedoms and liberties I have enjoyed without earning them in any way, do not exist. I have remained untouched by these realities in my own life.  Being an American solely by the hand of Providence, I had never been personally required to make any sacrifices to protect and defend the precious privilege of the freedom of pursuit of my own destiny which is the heritage of every American, until my husband went to war.  Even then, I myself experienced no fear for my own life, or any fear of sustaining grave injury.  Never have I had to fear speaking my mind, or calling upon my government for fair and just treatment.  As I became acquainted through social media with people from different areas of the Middle East,our dialogue concerning the state of their lives changed me forever.  I found myself humbled by their courage and determination to facilitate the destiny of the ancient lands where they by Providence too were born.  I saw many images and photos of beautiful places, stark deserts, carnage, sorrow, grief and pain.  I saw too beautiful and intelligent faces, filled with joy, earnestness, honor, and courage.

Poetry began to flow from my heart in my efforts to process the realizations that came to my mind from the conversations, news, and images I encountered.  The poem below came to me after I read an article about several young Afghan women who were part of the Afghan Army, and training to be pilots.  There faces were so beautiful, their courage and determination so exposed in their countenances, and as I thought of all their commitment meant, words welled up inside of me. This is one of my favorite of the poems I have written.








6 comments:

  1. This must be a very trying time for you, leaving your home and moving far away. Still, this will be a life journey few people will have ever had the opportunity experience. It seems that you love your husband very much and the two of you will have each other to comfort, share and guide each other, I wish you the best and will keep you both in my prayers. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am torn by leaving our family, and this little ranch and the work we do with those who serve in the Military here, On the other hand, I am like a little child on Christmas Eve, I cannot sleep at night for the excitement at the adventure, the people, and the relationships which lie ahead. Somewhere along the way I have acquired a great love for the people of the Middle East, probably born of the admiration I have developed for their ability just to continue to exist in a world of trials I cannot begin to fathom.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Sir, that means so much coming from you. Thank you for three little words conveying so much.

      Delete
  3. Words I have chosen here are merely a glimpse of the emptiness I am already experiencing! I want to be so filled with joy for your impending departure to "that' desert place. But honestly you are my touch tone and I feel my heart breaking. You are my best friend, my sister from another mother. I did not mind waiting to see you less when Randy comes home. I try not to call too often and allow you guys to sleep in! But geez Debra, I feel I am now about to truly experience some of what you have so bravely endured these past years! I tell you now, I don't like it! I am not looking forward to your move to Kuwait! I do not like it one bit. No....I am not having a fit! But I may have to be tied down when you get ready to depart. When you leave, so goes a great measure of my heart! I love you and Randy, but he is moving in the "wrong" direction, right? Bummers!!!! Oh, I love the poetry and the "gleeful" expressions shared. Uh huh, yeppers, great! The only joy I can truly share is that I know how much Father God loves you and Randy and I am trusting Him to keep you safe from all hurt harm and danger as you travel abroad. And to bring you back to Texas ASAP!!! Do you need a friend to come and help you get settled in? :-/

    ReplyDelete